In Memory of Tom Misner

We wish to let you know that our good friend Tom Misner passed away on January 4, 2019 from cancer. Many of you may know Tom as one of our voices on the support team or, more personally, when he provided onsite training.

Tom was one of the kindest, most open-hearted and caring people you could ever meet. I know he made personal friendships with many of you, and that was reflected in his work. It is hard to encapsulate the life of a wonderful man in a few short sentences, but we wanted to let you know a little about the Tom we knew.

Tom joined the Arts Management Systems family in June of 2003 when he decided, as the General Manager of the Waterville Opera House in Maine, to implement Theatre Manager. He spent the next two years honing his skills and more than quadrupled donations from the theatre’s annual phone-athon campaign. In September of 2005, Tom transitioned from a user to a member of our team.

For the next 13 years Tom traveled onsite all over Canada and the United States. He worked closely with clients training on Theatre Manager and sharing his years of experience in theatre administration. Tom excelled at supporting our clients with his thoughtful analogies, expert knowledge and charismatic personality.

Those who spoke with Tom couldn’t forget his announcer-style voice, warmth and laughter. He went out of his way to make sure that anyone around him felt included. Tom’s interactions with clients created a bond that was about far more than work. He loved traveling onsite to meet new people and share experiences.

Many of you may not know that Tom also had a lifelong passion for barbershop. He had one of those deep voices that was clear as a bell — and could he ever sing! He would often regale us with stories of his weekends or vacations spent at a contest, organising meetings, or connecting with local barbershop chapters while visiting clients — just for the sheer joy of singing. He was a man who lived life to the fullest; who truly followed his passion.

As we say goodbye with fondness, we are grateful for the many memories he left us and we pass our most sincere condolences on to his wife Renae, children Ben and Alex, and the rest of his family.

Tom took special care with each person he interacted with. He left a lasting impression on all of us. He was far more than just a colleague or support person, he was a member of our family and a cherished friend. We will miss him dearly.

Online Obituary

3 Likes

Tom was our onsite trainer, and I spent many wonderful hours with him that week, and had many future conversations. I am so sad to see he is gone.

3 Likes

Tom was a great help to us, and I am very sorry.

3 Likes

Although I never met Tom in person, he was a great influence on me as a TM user. When something was awry, his soothing voice never failed to smooth the situation and his solutions were always spot on. Sincere condolences to Tom’s family and friends from the Fargo Moorhead Opera in North Dakota.

3 Likes

This makes my heartbreak. Though I never met him in person he was always very helpful and attentive to USF and my needs for support. May you all be blessed and looked after at this difficult time. Michael Kartchner, Cedar City Utah, Utah Shakespeare Festival.

3 Likes

On behalf of the Warner Theatre in Torrington, CT our sincerest and deepest condolences to both his family and his work family at ArtsMan. We will miss him.

3 Likes

I am shocked and greatly saddened by this news! I adored Tom and was always thrilled when he would personally call me to walk me through solving whatever problem I was experiencing. His customer service went 1000% above and beyond! He will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Sincerely,
Stephanie Fornoff and Box Office Team
Del E. Webb Center for the Performing Arts
Wickenburg, AZ

3 Likes

It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.

We moved to TM May 2012, I spoke to Tom often and he even traveled from ME to our venue once. Tom was always so kind and patient, never made me feel dumb.

Condolences to his family, friends, and co-workers, I’m sure its a big blow.

3 Likes

Sending love and support from Schenectady. Tom’s soothing persona and gentle humor were always very welcomed and appreciated on support calls. He let me see a video of one of his barbershop competition performances once - truly lovely and joyful music and energy - and I immediately realized his was the kind of open and welcoming nature that make communities stronger.

3 Likes

We are so sorry to hear this news! Tom’s dedication to the arts was inspiring and contagious. We had the pleasure of working with him for several years and will miss his expertise and good humor. Our sincere condolences go out to his family and colleagues.
Thanks for all the training and guidance Tom!
Rest in peace,
Susan Weiler
World Music/CRASHarts
Boston, MA

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear of Tom’s passing. I’m one of many who only ever spoke with him on the phone, however, I will miss his smiling voice returning support calls. Lots of love to his family and his work family. :heart:

3 Likes

I add my condolences to Tom’s family and colleagues at ArtsMan. I always enjoyed Tom’s humor delivered by his robust voice!

A favorite memory is the day of Donation training when he called attention to the “Sort Name” field which replaces blanks after the name with exclamation points. Our demo name was something short like “Bob Smith” which got translated to “SMITHBOB!!!”, so he cupped his hands into a megaphone and shouted “SMITHBOB!” as loudly as he could! I nearly fell out of my chair from laughing so hard!

He will always be remembered fondly.

3 Likes

I am so sorry to hear this news. Tom was always so helpful and cheerful on the phone, over email, and in person. He was a huge influence on my understanding and learning process of TM and I will always think of his kindness and patience.

3 Likes

I am gonna miss getting calls from Tom. He sure knew how to skin cats and he taught me a thing or two. We were lucky enough to have him here twice to do on site training with us. We even took him to Wyoming for supper one night. He made a big deal about never being in wyoming before. May he rest in peace and his family & the ArtsMan Family be comforted as you all deal with his loss. Godspeed.

3 Likes

My deepest condolences to anyone who called him friend or family, the universe is short one truly unique and wonderful human.
As far as memories go, I just always smiled the instant I heard his voice on the phone, mainly because he almost never failed to mention the one restaurant we visited when he was here for our install more than ten (!) years ago. He loved that trip to Genghis Grill so much, I felt guilty every time I had to say we didn’t have the budget for annual training!
Tom Misner, you were fun, smart, patient, easy to work with and will be sorely missed. Fair winds and following seas, friend.
Lara Marsh
McKinney PAC
McKinney, TX

3 Likes

Tom was so much more that a friendly voice on the phone when you are in need of tech support. He had a wonderfully calming manner about him that always put your anxiety on hold. I had the pleasure of talking with him over his entire career at TM. I had the pleasure of meeting him in person when he came to our theater for training several years ago. Between technical instruction and remote access through the years we would catch up on families, hobbies and all sorts of interests. He was a wealth of knowledge in TM, funds development and the arts in general.
Tom, you will be sorely missed.

3 Likes

On behalf of all of us at George Street Playhouse, we extend our condolences to the ArtsMan team and to Tom’s family. We learned so much from him through onsite training and countless emails and phone calls.

He will certainly be missed.

3 Likes

Tom will be greatly missed. Only he could solve a problem when he was 1,500 miles to the East of the theater, and I was 1,500 to the West. Condolences from everyone at the Bell Tower Theater.

3 Likes

All of us here at the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra are so sad to learn of Tom’s passing. He was kind and helpful on the phone. He was on site with us last January. Thinking of Tom’s family and his Arts Man colleagues at this time.

3 Likes

I’m so sad to hear of Tom’s passing, and grateful for this forum for comments. He was my first in-person trainer of TM 12 years ago, and was always extremely kind and warm. I was struck by his other stories of generosity outside of work too. And he did have a lovely voice.

3 Likes